Friday, June 18, 2010


Last weekend I finally got around to making a batch of sauerkraut for the first time.I have been wanting to do something with the cabbages in the vege patch for a while but it's taken me this long to work out what equipment I could use for the fermentation process.I found a straight sided stoneware pot in the cupboard in which fits a bread and butter plate nicely. With a heavy jar of preserved lemons on top the plate stays under water and keeps the cabbage below the brine. I have just removed the scum from the first week's fermentation and now just have to wait for the fermentation process to continue. This could take several weeks so let's hope it is worth the wait.

No comments: