Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Checking out the Czechs. August 17 2014

The last part of my overseas holiday was spent in the Czech Republic, mostly in Prague. From what I could see, Czech cuisine is similar to those of other countries in Central and Eastern Europe. Potatoes and pork in various guises such as sausage, roast, steak seem to be central to most meals and when we went looking for Czech specialities that is exactly what we found.
First up, lots of places in Central Prague advertised Goulash served in bread pots so of course that was on the list to try. For vegetarians, potato soup in a bread pot was the option.
Very tasty Goulash served in a very crusty loaf of bread. It was difficult to resist eating the bread once I had finished the filling!
On street corners a tasty snack was sold. Trdelnik, dough is cooked wrapped around a stick in a spiral shape.  Sprinkled with cinnamon sugar it was lovely and crusty.
On our final day in Prague we went to a restaurant just below the castle where they advertised traditional Czech food. 
 I chose a fried carp dish

My sister chose yet Olde Bohemian platter of Smoked baked pork neck, Smoked pork sausage,Grilled ark, bread dumplings, Potoato dumplings, Bacon dumplings, red sauerkraut, white sauerkraut and potato pancakes. Needless to say, she didn't need much for dinner that evening!
And my daughter had a vegetarian goats cheese salad
Just in case we weren't already full enough, we shared an Apple strudel for dessert (but I forgot to take a photo)
As it was summer, we were also able to find plenty of fresh fruit like strawberries, raspberries and cherries to munch on as well. And then with our final few krona we bought a large bar of Czech cherry chocolate at the airport. Unfortunately I never got to taste it though, as in a rush to get to Heathrow for my long haul flight home the next day, I left it sitting in my daughter's room in Chelsea where she is living and she is still enjoying it almost two months later!!






No comments: