Monday, May 23, 2011

Pickled Red Cabbage for cold winter nights.

This year for the first time I have grown red cabbage. After my not so successful foray into sauerkraut making last year - well it was partially successful, it was just that I didn't like the flavour much- I thought maybe pickled red cabbage might be a better option. It looks much prettier anyway.
So I picked the first cabbage on the weekend. First it was layered with some sliced onion, sprinkling salt between the layers and leaving it to sit overnight.
Next day. I rinsed the cabbage and let it air dry. While it was drying I made up a pickling vinegar with vinegar and various spices.
The cabbage was then packed it into bottles.
And covered with the pickling vinegar.Now it has to sit for a month or so before we can taste it.

3 comments:

n said...

Hi Sue, I have two big fat cabbages looking back at me in the fridge and like you, am not a huge fan of sauerkraut....so thinking of giving pickling a crack. Could you tell me which spices and type of vinegar works best for cabbage? Thanks so much. I really enjoy your blog :)

Sue Roberts said...

Thanks Barb, it is nice to have some feedback on the blog. I have posted the recipe in my recipe section. I haven't tasted it yet so hope it is ok. I found other recipes which were much more complicated and used a red wine vinegar. I only had malt in the cupboard so went for the easier version.

Kate said...

Hi Sue, just found your blog. I have red cabbages too and have never enjoyed the various ways other people have cooked them for me. I have now made 2 great things.... finely sliced red cabbage coleslaw (with grated carrots, finely sliced fennel and a bit of olive oil and lemon juice, instead of mayonnaise) and the other one is a baked thing with layers of apples and onions. I'll go and put it on my recipe blog called Gardeners' Gastronomy....