Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Plenty of Pickles , February 26th 2013


Its pickling time....the vege garden is exploding with produce so I need to do something with it all. This weekend I have made two types of pickles. First up I made pickled red cabbage – salting the cabbage and sliced onion overnight before bringing a pickling vinegar to the boil and  pouring over the jar packed with the washed brined cabbage. I don’t think I have tried this recipe before which has raisins and orange zest in the vinegar. Now I am looking forward to tasting it.

 Next day it was time to make bread and butter pickles from some small crunchy cucumbers.
 Again it involved salting the cucumber and onion overnight before rinsing off the salt next morning. The cucumbers are brought to the boil in the pickling vinegar before packing into the jar. 
Each lot of pickles has a different mix of spices so I won't know what they taste like until I get around to opening the jars. I have several recipes of these types of pickles so making and tasting them all could take a long time.

No comments: